There are numerous benefits to achieving an accounting certification such as increasing your current salary, raising the likelihood of getting a job in your specific area of expertise, decreasing the odds of getting fired during layoffs, proving professional credibility, and expanding your current knowledge.
All of these factors can greatly impress future employers and make you stand out against other strong job candidates. They can also help you advance in your current position and open up a discussion about job advancements.
Every accounting position will have a primary focus that determines which certifications could be beneficial to the role. Depending on your personal career objectives and desired accounting specialty, there could be an accounting certification that’s right for you. Please continue reading to learn more about the 12 different accounting certifications that you can achieve to impress employers.
1. Chartered Professional Accountant
The Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) certification is recognized as one of the best certifications to attain for finance and accounting candidates. The CPA license focuses on risk management, compliance, taxes, and more. If you’re looking to work your way up to a managerial position, then you will be required to take CPA courses.
2. Chartered Global Management Accountant
The Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) financial certification is best suited for certified public accountants working in the business or government sectors. This is an optimal certification to attain if you’re looking for advanced knowledge in strategy development and accounting management.
3. Certified Management Accountant
The Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification is a key credential to have for financial decision-making, financial planning, financial analysis, and critical accounting. Many people choose to study for their CPA certification and CMA certification at the same time. It is a highly recommended certification for those with an interest in the corporate sector.
4. Chartered Financial Analyst
The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification, granted by the CFA Institute, provides accountants with vital training in portfolio management principles, ethical standards, economics, and investment analysis. This certification is a necessity if your career goals are in investment asset management and research analysis.
5. Chartered Certified Accountant
The Chartered Certified Accountant certification (through the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants [ACCA]) is internationally recognized as a professional accountancy qualification for those who want to work in banking, management, or consulting. It will open doors to many exciting senior accounting jobs with high earning potential.
6. Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst
The Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) certification is a top accounting certification for those in the alternative investing business. It is a perfect choice for anyone in an asset management role within the hedge fund industry.
7. Certified Internal Auditor
The Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) certification is a valuable credential for people who want to demonstrate expertise in technology, risk, and control. If your primary career objective is as an internal auditor or chief audit executive, this certification can greatly increase your chance of getting hired.
8. Certified Fraud Examiner
The Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) certification is an important designation for anyone in the financial industry. The course focuses on fraud prevention and deterrence, fraud investigations, fraud laws, and fraud schemes and financial interactions.
9. Certified Bank Auditor
The Certified Bank Auditor (CBA) certification is necessary for those who want to pursue a career in financial auditing for banks, CPA firms, or independent contracts. This certification can provide you with expertise in banking laws, auditing principles, financing laws, record keeping, and regulations.
10. Certified Information Systems Auditor
The Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISP) certification is an important asset for those in the information technology business. This can be an important course to take if you’re looking to increase your salary and drastically improve your job performance.
11. Certified Information Technology Professional
The Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) certification is best for those who want to work in the technology industry. Achieving this certification will demonstrate a deep knowledge of accounting for information technology companies, technology risk assessment, system implementation support, and security evaluations.
12. Certified in Financial Forensics
The Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) credential solidifies your expertise in forensic accounting for numerous different forms of dispute resolution. Once you complete the CFF, you will have advanced knowledge in financial misrepresentations, bankruptcy, insolvency, fraud detection, fraud prevention, economic damage calculations, and valuations.
Additional certifications worth looking into depending on your accountant career goals include:
- Compliance certifications such as Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP), Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP), or Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA).
- Investment certifications such as Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA), or Financial Risk Manager (FRM).
- Tax certifications such as Enrolled Agent (EA), Accredited Tax Advisor (ATA), or Accredited Tax Preparer (ATP).
- Quality assurance certifications such as Certified Quality Auditor (CQA).
- Payroll certifications such as Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC).
- Business systems analyst certifications such as Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) or Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA).
- Accounts receivable and accounts payable certifications such as Accredited Receivable Manager (ARM), Accredited Receivable Specialist (ARS), Accredited Payables Specialist (APS), or Accredited Payables Manager (APM).
We are a premier accounting job agency serving Toronto and the GTA and would love to help you create the perfect portfolio to impress our extensive network of employers. We have a deep understanding of what companies are looking for in their next employee, and can ensure you currently hold the right qualifications to land your dream job. AHK Accounting Recruiters look forward to hearing from you soon! Call us at 833-399-1663 or click here to email us.