General Accountant Roles - North York, Ontario
Our client is an established, mid-size construction and contracting company exploring candidates to add a qualified accounting professional to be part of its growing and energetic team. They have been operating as a leader in the industry for over 65 years servicing job sites encompassing an area from Toronto to Niagara Falls to Woodstock to Collingwood to Ottawa. They provide low rise flat work to the residential community tailoring their services to exterior sewers, interior underground drainage systems, concrete basement floors, concrete garage floors, concrete porches and stairs, and after sales services.
Why Our Client
We are looking for someone with high integrity and superior work ethic who enjoys the world of accounting, has an inquisitive mind, is willing to accept failure and learn from mistakes, looking to grow with the business, challenges status-quo, able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information, communicates financial information effectively with non-accounting teams, respectful of others’ point of view and self-motivated.
The General Accountant will report to the Controller and will be a key member of the finance function. The position is primarily focused on month end reporting and analysis of business unit performance. A key element of the role is to critically assesses processes within the finance function and lead process improvement projects to gain efficiencies in the reporting cycle. Projects and duties will vary and range from day to day and include but are not limited to those listed below. This position will work with extended teams within organization to support specific project initiatives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Revenue Management: deferred revenue/revenue recognition, revenue forecasting, sales commission calculations and tracking customer agreements
- Full-cycle Financial Reporting: Assist in the monthly period end closes, including journal entries, accruals, GL account reconciliations, and segments of financial reports
- Margin analysis on business segments and providing feedback on potential cost savings and margin improvements
- Financial Processes: Contribute ideas for processes improvement to enhance workflow efficiency and maintain and strengthen internal accounting policies and controls
- Costing report for various projects undertaken throughout the year
- Special Projects: Support management in special projects and initiatives and ad-hoc reporting/analysis
- Other ad hoc duties can include preparing daily deposits and cash applications, weekly payroll liabilities processing and payroll GL reconciliation
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5+ years’ experience of full cycle accounting in a high-volume environment
- Microsoft Office (intermediate to advanced Excel)
- Working experience with an ERP system is an asset
- Proficiency in Quickbooks/Quicbooks Enterpise
- Analytical with strong attention to detail
- Ability to mentor and support others in the Finance Team
- Fast-learner, capable to work in fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) with the ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- CPA, CA designated or close to completion